Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Vinegar

I have always said that if I was stuck on a deserted island and could only pack one item to bring with me, I would probably pick vinegar. Not only is it edible, and would be a wonderful addition to the vegetable diet I would probably be eating on the island, but it can be used for a variety of medicinal, cleaning and grooming purposes.

What is vinegar?

Vinegar is made from the fermentation of ethanol (sources are usually wine, cider, beer or other fermented liquids), which produces acetic acid.

What is the difference between the different types of vinegar?

-Balsamic vinegar comes from fermented white grapes and is the most expensive and usually the best quality vinegar. This is because it is aged longer than other types of vinegars. It has a sweeter taste and thicker texture, and is usually used in salad dressings or as a dipping sauce for breads.

-Red and white wine vinegars come from wine or champagne and are usually used for salad dressings and marinades.

-Apple cider vinegar obviously comes from cider and has a mild taste. It is also good for salad dressings.

-Rice vinegar comes from rice and has less acidity than other forms of vinegar. It is used in many Asian foods.

-Malt vinegar comes from barley and is commonly used on potatoes and fried fish.

-Distilled white vinegar comes from grain alcohol and has a very unpleasant taste, making it more popular as a cleaning agent. It is rarely used in food.

In what ways does our family use vinegar?

Cooking
  • I make many homemade salad dressings using mostly balsamic and apple cider vinegars.
  • We always have malt vinegar on our potatoes.
  • Adam loves to make homemade sushi with rice vinegar in his rice (it makes it stickier).
  • Vinegar is also used in our kitchen for fermenting and pickling.
  • Whenever I have non-organic fruit that has a visible residue (especially with apples), I make sure to soak them in a vinegar wash.

Cleaning - I gave up on commercial cleaners when I was pregnant with Gabriel. I had read somewhere that pregnant women shouldn't use harsh cleaners, especially bleach, while pregnant and figured that if it wasn't good for my unborn child it probably wasn't good for anyone. We replaced all of our household cleaners with either vinegar, baking soda, or a combination of the two. Not only does the vinegar disinfect (kills 99% of bacteria, 82% of mold, and 80% of germs/virsuses), but it also neutralizes odors and removes mineral deposits. We use it to:

  • clean carpet messes by covering the area with baking soda, letting it dry, vacuuming the dry soda and then spraying the area with straight vinegar.
  • shine windows.
  • sanitize toys and other surfaces the children touch, like high chairs and changing tables.
  • remove residue from kitchen appliances.
  • clean tubs and countertops. I like to use straight distilled white vinegar for these chores, but some people prefer to dilute it with water. Using it with baking soda (to scrub the surface) is really effective.

Laundry

  • I add a cup of distilled white vinegar to my load of cloth diapers to help disinfect.
  • Vinegar also can replace liquid fabric softener in your laundry, because it reduces static cling. Don't worry, you can't smell the vinegar afterwards.

Grooming

  • Spraying your hair with vinegar before you get out of the shower will help get rid of some of the build-up in your hair (the same way it removes build-up in household appliances) and make it shinier.
  • Some people use vinegar as a deodorant, but I have not had luck with it.

Medicine

  • Whenever I have a mystery rash, I cover it with a little vinegar. This helps dry out the rash.
  • It can also take the sting out of big bites.
  • Although I have never used it in this way, I have read that vinegar can also be useful in treating jellyfish stings.
  • Adam swears by his apple cider drink. Whenever he feels like he needs a quick detoxification, he will add two tablespoons of apple cider vinegar to a glass of water and drink it.
  • Vinegar has been proven to lower cholesterol.
  • It removes warts.
  • You can clear up ear infections by rinsing the ear with a vinegar solution.

Gardening - Vinegar can be used as a weed killer. Just be careful - after cleaning out my son's kiddie pool with vinegar in my front yard last summer, I noticed that it killed all the grass in the area.

I don't know what I would do without these products in my home. They are a natural alternative to many harmful chemicals and I feel safer knowing that my cleaning closet contains items that will not poison my children if they were to come in contact with them.

-Jessica

Sources:

"All About Vinegars - Vinegar Types - Using Vinegar in Cooking and Baking." Busy Cooks Quick and Easy Cooking and Recipes. Web. 30 Dec. 2009. http://busycooks.about.com/od/quicktips/qt/vinegartips.htm.

"Vinegar -." Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. Web. 30 Dec. 2009. ..

"Vinegar Kills Bacteria, Mold and Germs Healthy and Green Living." Care2 - largest online community for healthy and green living, human rights and animal welfare. Web. 30 Dec. 2009. .

4 comments:

Becky @ BoysRuleMyLife said...

Have you tried vinegar on eczema? Just curious... I wonder if that would sting? Eczema is such a funny, strange, terrible rash! I feel like I'm fighting a moving battle!

Loved this post... as always! :) I've got several different vinegars in my cupboard but never took the time to learn about them. I just use them when called for in a recipe. I'm a lazy cook. LOL!

Jessica said...

Becky - I've been scared to try it on the eczema, only because David is so young and can't really communicate to me how it is making him feel. I know that the drier the rash gets, the itchier it seems to get. So, the vinegar might just make him itch more.

I may resort to trying it if some of the other things I am doing don't work. :)

Speedbump Kitchen said...

Great post, I think at last count, I had 15 types of vinegar in the pantry. Yipes!

Anonymous said...

Dr. Andrew Weil offers his qualified belief on this question:
"There is not any logical facts proving that apple cider
vinegar can certainly help in fat loss or that this incorporates any kind of miracle
formula that help you to shed pounds. Returning in the 1970s when this
diet procured its place between the numerous weight reduction trends and swindles,
supporters advertised that mysteriously a combination of apple cider, kelp,
vitamin B-6, and lecithin fooled the system's metabolic rate into burning
unwanted fat swifter than it would usually.

Right now the states are much less much less complex - theoretically, all you
require to accomplish to slim down is to acquire just one, two, or three teaspoons of
apple cider vinegar before each meals, beginning using one teaspoon and
then working nearly 2 or 3. I understand that consuming far more than
three teaspoons seriously isn't intended to steer to greater outcome. The only real
a diet suggestions an individual receive with this "diet plan" is to consume nominal portions at
dinners, stay away from snack, and hold out for the apple cider vinegar to lessen
ones own hunger and meals desires."
my website > Apple Cider Vinegar Benefits