Friday, March 19, 2010

How To Make Homemade Sourdough Bread




















What are the advantages of sourdough bread?
  • Sourdough bread is easier to digest because of the lactic acid created in the fermentation process.
  • The soaking that is a part of making sourdough bread decreases phytate content, which allows for better nutrient absorption.
  • It causes a lower spike in blood sugar than any other type of bread.
  • It does not spoil as easily as bread made from brewers yeast because its acetic acid retards mold growth.
  • It tastes DELICIOUS!


Your first step is to make a sourdough starter.

My recipe came from Nourishing Traditions.  It yields 3 quarts of starter.

I took 2 cups of rye flour and 2 cups of filtered water and mixed them together in a large bowl.  Then, I covered the soupy mixture with a double layer of cheesecloth and secured it with a rubber band.

You can see my bowl in this picture (note that my kitchen counters have become a "laboratory" for soaking and sprouting).

















For the next 7 days, I transferred my soupy mixture to a different bowl each day and added one cup of rye flour and another cup of filtered water.  I would then mix it and put the cheesecloth back on top.

During the week, the cheesecloth allowed good bacteria (lactobacilli) and airborne fungus (wild yeast) to enter my soupy mix, causing it to froth and bubble.  After about 3 days it began to smell badly, but by the end of the week it smelled like wine.

This is what it looked like after 7 days.

















At this point, it was ready to be used for making bread.

A sourdough starter is a living thing that needs to be cared for just like any other living thing.  If you aren't going to use it right away, you can store it in the fridge or freezer.  Just make sure that you "feed" the starter with one cup of flour/water at least once a week and allow oxygen to get to it.

Starters make a wonderful gift for friends and family - just give them a few cups and tell them to feed it every day until they build up their supply.

The taste of your starter and it's ability to leaven bread will get better with age, so be patient and don't give up if your first batch of bread doesn't taste perfect!

Note:  many websites will tell you that you shouldn't use metal bowls or utensils for your starter.  I used a stainless steel bowl for mine and did not have a problem.  Everything I've read says that anything other than stainless steel is not advised, but essentially the "no metal rule" is a myth.

Now you are ready to make your bread.

Once again, I used the Nourishing Traditions recipe.

I used 2 quarts of my starter (needs to be at room temperature) and added 2 1/2 tablespoons of sea salt and 1 cup cold filtered water.


















Mix it until the salt dissolves.  Then, start mixing your flour (you will add 13 cups in all).  I used whole wheat.



















Halfway through you will need to add another 1/2 cup cold filtered water and start mixing with your hands.




















Then, knead the dough for about 15 minutes.  This will be a workout, BELIEVE me!  My arms were sore afterwards. 
























Section your dough into your loaf sizes.  I made five medium-sized loafs.



















Grease your loaf pans.  I used coconut oil because of Gabe's dairy allergy.















Form your loaves and put them in their pans.














Make sure to add some slices to the tops of your loaves.

























Then cover your loaves and let them rise.









Leavening time will depend on the age and quality of your starter - the older the starter, the shorter the time.  Some starters may take as little as a few hours, but other may take a day or longer.  Remember that your dough will not spoil, because the fermentation process protects it.

I let mine rise for 19 hours and this is what they looked like afterwards.














Bake at 350 for an hour and your bread is done!



















I sliced several of my loaves and froze them.  This will make it easy to grab a few pieces as needed for toast.















Enjoy!

-Jess

7 comments:

Janae said...

I think you read my mind. I was going to ask you how to make sourdough. Thanks for your posts.

frugalredneck said...

Thanks a ton!!!!! I have never made sourdough before and have been wanting to do it, Now I will, well as soon as this last snowstorm of the season passes. My house is just too cold to bake much bread they don't rise well at all!!! Thanks again Michelle

Olivia said...

Thanks! :)

Janae said...

Do you not use dry active yeast?

Jessica said...

Janae - sourdough bread doesn't need any added yeast. The fermentation process allows wild yeast from the air to enter the dough. It will rise without the yeast.

Janae said...

Thanks. I'm still learning. If you refrigerate your starter, do you have to bring it to room temp to feed it? how about before you use it? how long can you feed/how long does it last? could i just keep feeding the starter, making the bread, feeding the starter, and making the bread? I have so many questions. lol.

Jessica said...

Janae - you don't have to bring it to room to temperature before you feed it, but I would leave it out on the counter for a few hours after you feed it. You can use the starter anytime - just bring it to room temperature before you use it. Always make sure to leave some leftover starter to feed and rebuild your supply.

Just make sure you feed it at least once a week if it is in the fridge. If you are baking bread often (every day or every other day) you don't even have to keep it in the fridge - just make sure to feed it every day!

A starter can last forever - some families have starters that have been passed down from generations. They are a living thing that can survive as long as they are fed and cared for properly.

Just keep feeding it and making your bread. You can even take a few cups out of your starter and give to a friend so that they can start their own. Just tell them to feed it every single day until they get the amount they need, plus a little leftover to keep the starter going.