Thursday, May 6, 2010

Toxic Bodies: Follow-Up

I just wanted to share a few follow-up links that I have come across since writing my last post, Toxic Bodies

First, one commenter, Lembit, shared a link to an iPhone app called the Chemical Maze, that will list the preservatives and additives in your food and cosmetics.

Next, a Facebook friend of mine linked a NY Times Op-Ed today that related to the post.  You can read it here.  The article gave a stat that I was looking for when writing my post, but couldn't find.  Here it is:

“Only a few hundred of the more than 80,000 chemicals in use in the United States have been tested for safety,” the report says. It adds: “Many known or suspected carcinogens are completely unregulated.”
That's scary stuff.

Finally, that article linked some great resources for finding out about the chemicals in your environment.  The first is the Skin Deep Cosmetic Safety Database.  I mentioned it last year - it's a wonderful resource that I always use when researching new cosmetics I would like to try.

The other link is to HealthyStuff.org, a site that ranks popular household items for children and pets based on their toxicity. 

-Jessica

3 comments:

Janae said...

Have you seen the new article on the new dry max pampers? I guess they are being investigated because of reports of chemical burns.

An unrelated topic... have you done any research on natural birth control? I'm looking into getting a "lady comp". It looks like a glorified thermometer, but it makes charting as easy as popping a pill.

Jessica said...

I just read that about the Pampers. My mother surprised me with a huge box of them from Sam's Club a few weeks ago and I have been using them when we leave the house. I haven't had any problems with the boys, but now I don't feel safe using them. I also feel bad throwing them away. What to do, what to do....

I have done very limited research on natural birth control, only because we haven't really been trying to prevent since we've been married. I haven't heard of "lady comp". I'll have to check it out. Thanks!

Olivia said...

Oh gosh that scares me about the new pampers diapers, I had a coupon for a free value box from BRU, and have over a hundred to go through. Diapers are so expensive, but we haven't had any problems. That freaks me out :S

And ditto ladycomp! I saw this online but it almost sounds too good to be true. I've been going back and forth with my midwife about BC. I can't take anything orally because I have high blood pressure, she's pushing an IUD, and I know people who have gotten pregnant with one in. That is scary! And can be life threatening!